Job title: Systems Administrator
Salary: £30,000 - £45,000
Role type: Permanent
Catalyst IT Europe is part of a global team of skilled open source technologists. We specialise in building and hosting enterprise grade Learning Management Systems using open source technologies like Moodle, Totara and Mahara.
We love a challenge, and tend to focus on LMS implementations that need a higher than usual level of technical expertise. Need to scale to millions of users? See us. Tricky B2B integration problems? Yes please. Complex custom features? We can guide you from a fuzzy idea to shipping code.
Our Brighton office is growing, and we're looking for a new Systems Administrator to join us on our journey.
Applicants must be legally entitled to live and work in the UK, and preference will be given to applicants within commuting distance of Brighton. Catalyst is committed to providing an inclusive work environment and welcomes applicants from all backgrounds.
Things we look for:
We realise there's a tendency for job ads to basically ask for a clone of an existing employee, expecting candidates to arrive at their door perfectly formed. This can scare away potential candidates who are in the right ballpark without necessarily checking every single box, and ignores one of the most important skills - the ability to learn new things.
So let's break it down. Here are the must-have things:
- Good attitude and soft skills. It's not all about technical ability.
- Reliability and willingness to join our on-call pager rotation.
- General problem solving and troubleshooting ability.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to clearly articulate complex technical issues.
And here are the things that will absolutely help you in this role, but can be supported by your own professional development on the job:
- In depth knowledge of Linux administration.
- Solid understanding of Puppet or similar configuration management tools.
- Familiarity with Amazon Web Services, with bonus points for formal technical certification.
- Solid understanding of networking, and ability to configure and troubleshoot AWS networking in particular.
- Familiarity with Docker and some flavour of container orchestration. (We mostly use Amazon ECS.)
- Some familiarity with PostgreSQL and/or MySQL database administration.
- 20 days annual leave (plus bank holidays)
- Private health insurance
- Flexible working hours
Please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com