Job title: Software Developer
Role type: Permanent
Salary: £30k - £45k
Catalyst IT Europe is part of a global team of skilled open source technologists. We specialise in building and hosting enterprise grade Learning Management Systems using open source technologies like Moodle, Totara and Mahara.
We love a challenge, and tend to focus on LMS implementations that need a higher than usual level of technical expertise. Need to scale to millions of users? See us. Tricky B2B integration problems? Yes please. Complex custom features? We can guide you from a fuzzy idea to shipping code.
Our Brighton office is growing, and we're looking for two more Software Developers to join us on our journey.
Applicants must be legally entitled to live and work in the UK, and preference will be given to applicants within commuting distance of Brighton.
Catalyst is committed to providing an inclusive work environment and welcomes applicants from all backgrounds.
Things we look for:
We realise there's a tendency for job ads to basically ask for a clone of an existing employee, expecting candidates to arrive at their door perfectly formed. This can scare away potential candidates who are in the right ballpark without necessarily checking every single box, and ignores one of the most important skills - the ability to learn new things.
So let's break it down. Here are the must-have things:
- Good attitude and soft skills; It's not all about technical ability
- Reliability and willingness to commit to deadlines
- General problem solving and debugging ability
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to clearly articulate complex technical issues
- Excellent understanding of PHP
- Working knowledge of Linux
And here are the things that will absolutely help you in this role, but can be supported by your own professional development on the job:
- Familiarity with Git, Gerrit, Jenkins or similar development pipeline tools
- Knowledge of Linux internals, to help you analyse and improve application performance
- Familiarity with Docker
- Familiarity with PostgreSQL and/or MySQL
- Previous experience with e-learning platforms such as Moodle, Mahara or Totara
- Previous experience with Drupal
- Flexible working arrangements
- Private medical insurance
If you think this sounds like you, please send your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Also include a cover letter telling us about you and why you are interested in the role. Please include references to any publicly available open-source work or examples of relevant work.