Catalyst provides open source solutions and services for a wide variety of New Zealand and International organisations, including major corporations, government departments, schools, and universities. Our products and services include software design and development; managing and hosting cloud-based business applications and technical and project consulting.
Catalyst has been dedicated to using the world’s best open source software and tools to deliver robust IT solutions for our clients all over the globe for 20 years. Along with our passion for open source, we are a company that is committed to equal opportunities for all, regardless of individual characteristics.
Our hiring processes reflect our diversity policy which you can read in full here: https://www.catalyst.net.nz/content/catalyst-diversity-policy
About this role
You will be 50% of our Desktop Support team! Our Desktop Support team of two are responsible for a variety of tasks and ensuring that the rest of the team at Catalyst (over 150 in Wellington) have working hardware and software. At times you'll be working fairly closely with our System Administration Team as well as a range of both technical and non technical staff throughout our Wellington office.
Some of the things you will be doing are:
- Maintaining the life cycle of our 'Desktop' hardware, commissioning of new PCs and Laptops for staff, recommissioning hardware from leaving staff, decommissioning old or faulty hardware
- Troubleshooting of hardware issues and supporting OS and desktop applications
- Helping new staff get going in their Ubuntu environment
- Managing printers, Meeting Room hardware, and maintaining user documentation.
Skills & Requirements
Our standard desktop (and laptop) environment is Ubuntu Linux. Familiarity with Debian and the other major GNU/Linux operating systems is considered essential.
You’ll definitely need the ability to organise yourself and manage priorities as staff submit requests directly to you. Because you’re both maintaining documents and liaising with staff, a clear, prompt and accurate communication style is needed.
This is a role that would suit someone starting out in their IT career, who is willing and ready to learn. You’ll need foundational technical knowledge but you’ll also have the chance to build on those skills and develop an intimate knowledge of a wide variety of software and tools.
What are we looking for on your CV and Cover Letter?
- Good knowledge of desktop and laptop hardware life cycle, along with troubleshooting and problem solving skills.
- Experience using, installing and configuring Ubuntu and common desktop applications such as Libreoffice, Thunderbird, Evolution, Firefox
- Knowledge of open source software tools (hint – no .doc or .docx CVs thanks!)
Job benefits and perks
Being a good employer is really important to us. We pay our staff a fair wage and make sure they have any support they need to grow their skills.
Our employees enjoy Pizza Thursday every month – the whole office comes together to eat pizza and share knowledge. We also get together every Friday to relax, share company news and celebrate our achievements.
We also offer subsidised health insurance, flexible working hours, plenty of training opportunities, yoga, board games, and really, really good coffee.